OLYMPIA -- The Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board is warning the public about the dangers of poison hemlock that is found growing throughout the state, according to a news release.
Ingestion of a small amount of this noxious weed can be fatal to people and animals, the board reports.
It can be mistaken for many edible and ornamental members of the carrot family, including parsley, parsnip, wild carrot; and anise that have similar-looking flowers, leaves and seeds.
The board recommends that people learn to identify the weed in order to prevent accidental ingestion.
Never miss a local story.
For more information and photos, go to www.ncwb.wa.gov.
Local county noxious weed control boards, WSU extension offices, and conservation districts can provide assistance in identification and control of poison hemlock and other noxious and/or toxic weeds.
Ingestion of poison hemlock should be taken seriously, and people should be taken to the emergency room, the board reports.
For more information about poison hemlock poisoning and symptoms, contact the Washington Poison Center at 800-222-1222.