Dave Villwock topped all qualifiers during Friday’s pole position qualifying session for the Lucas Oil Madison Regatta.
Villwock, racing in the newly numbered 1 Spirit of Qatar 96, narrowly edged defending Madison champion Steve David, who was in the 6 Oh Boy! Oberto.
Villwock’s best lap was 148.837 miles per hour. David’s top lap was at 148.548.
Graham Trucking’s Jimmy Shane, a rookie, was third at 146.377, Degree Man’s Scott Liddycoat was four at 143.372 and Peters & May’s JW Myers was fifth at 142.616.
Never miss a local story.
The weather slowed the drivers down throughout the day, as temperatures soared over 100 degrees with high humidity, affecting the crews, drivers and turbine engines.
There will be three unlimited heats today.
Lucas Oil Madison Regatta
Pole position qualifying
Friday in Madison, Ind.
1. Spirit of Qatar 96, Dave Villwock, 149.837
2. Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David, 148.548
3. Graham Trucking, Jimmy Shane, 146.377
4. Degree Man, Scott Liddycoat, 143.372
5. Peters & May, JW Myers, 142.616
6. Miss Red Dot, Kip Brown, 140.66
7. Holiday Inn Express present Bello’s Pizza, Jon Zimmerman, 139.047
8. Xtreme Performance Products, Gregg Hopp, 136.41
9. Great Scott! presents Matrix Systems, Mike Webster, 136.969
10. Spirit of Detroit, Cal Phipps, 130.000 (fuel flow violation)
11. Formulaboats.com, N. Mark Evans, 97.317
12. Miss Beacon Plumbing, J. Michael Kelly, no time, lost cowling