On Oct. 9 in ...
* 2004 -- Erin Holmes became the first Tri-City swimmer of the year to go under two minutes in the 200 freestyle (1:59.65) and also swam a state-qualifying time in the 100 backstroke (1:02.90) in Kamiakin's 94-72 Big Nine win over Davis at Serier Pool.
* 1998 -- James Dell had nine carries for 113 yards and a touchdown as Kennewick blanked Eisenower 28-0 at Lampson Stadium, Royal's Chris Murphy rushed for 63 yards and recorded two touchdowns as the Knights cruised to a 49-12 win over Kittitas and Columbia-Burbank's Casey Linehan scored a third-quarter TD to break a 21-21 tie and give the Coyotes a home victory over Zillah.
* 1997 -- Raquel Munoz's goal in the 45th minute broke a scoreless tie, Joelle Laffey tacked on her 16th goal of the season with five minutes remaining and Prosser logged a 2-0 victory over host Ellensburg in a Mid-Valley League matchup.
Never miss a local story.
* 1970 -- The Royal City Knights chalked up a 27-0 win over Granger, aided by senior halfback Kelly Lynch's three touchdowns, in the Cross-Valley Conference opener for both teams.
* 1959 -- Dennis Waltman capped off a 64-yard march in the fourth quarter by scoring from 26 yards up the middle and plunging in for the PAT to highlight a game of long runs and explosive scoring as Richland beat host Pasco 32-20.