On Nov. 6 in ...
* 1989 -- Hanford soccer player Julie Hunter and Kamiakin swimmer Jennifer Pfister were named this week's Columbia Basin Sportswriters and Broadcasters athletes of the week. Hunter had four goals and two assists as the Falcons won three matches. Pfister had state-qualifying times in both the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly.
* 1981 -- Mark Bircher passed for 185 yards and five TDs, while Kyle Kafentzis rushed for 104 yards, as Richland shut out Moses Lake 42-0. The Bombers finish the regular season at 7-1 in the Big Nine Conference (8-1 overall) and head to Spokane to play Shadle Park in the first round of the state playoffs.
* 1976 -- Star Bachison finished seventh and Lori Selby was ninth, leading the Kamiakin girls cross country team to the District 5 team title in Ellensburg. Bachison's time was 11:16, while Selby had an 11:28. The team qualified for the state meet.
Never miss a local story.
* 1971 -- Mark Higginson, Kurt Beckman and Randy Rolph finished in the top five as Max Jensen's Richland boys cross country team coasted to an easy district team title.
* 1959 -- Ron Colley scored on a short dive, and John McFadden hit Rick German for a 43-yard go-ahead touchdown pass as Connell defeated Waitsburg 13-7 in a Class B football game.