Coach: Wiley Allred (14th year, 145-19).
Last league title: 2008.
Last playoff berth: 2011.
Home field: David Nielson Memorial Field.
Projected starters (returners in bold)
OFFENSE POS YR HT WT
Alex Myrick QB Sr. 5-8 175
Damien DelaRosa RB Sr. 6-0 205
Christian Guerrero WR Sr. 5-11 185
Laddie Goroski WR Sr. 5-11 165
Jake Janett WR Sr. 5-11 165
Brady Dixon TE Sr. 6-2 190
Uriel Carmona OL Sr. 5-10 185
Carter Christensen OL Sr. 6-1 210
Reed Lefler OL Sr. 6-4 185
Johnny Montoya OL Jr. 5-11 215
Collin Christensen OL Jr. 6-1 240
Damien DelaRosa K Sr. 6-0 205
DEFENSE POS YR HT WT
Carter Christensen DL Sr. 6-1 210
Kent Christensen DL Sr. 6-1 215
Cristian Fernandez DL Sr. 6-1 205
Reed Lefler DL Sr. 6-4 185
Brady Dixon LB Sr. 6-2 190
Damien DelaRosa LB Sr. 6-0 205
Marcos Morales LB Sr. 5-8 175
Alex Myrick DB Sr. 5-8 175
Laddie Goroski DB Sr. 5-11 165
Jake Janett DB Sr. 5-11 165
Christian Guerrero DB Sr. 5-11 185
Damien DelaRosa P Sr. 6-0 205
Others to watch: DE Emilio Bustos, Jr., (5-8, 175); OL Tony Mayorga, Jr., (5-8, 175); WR/LB Manny Quintero, Jr., (5-8, 205).
* Myrick returns as one of the top quarterbacks in the state. He passed for 1,787 yards and rushed for 704 more in the 2011 season. He also scored 15 touchdowns and passed for eight more.
* The Knights plan to use the spread offense again, allowing Myrick to connect with many weapons, or run the ball himself.
* Royal has 15 starters from the 2011 season returning, including eight on offense. So experience will be a strength.
* The Knights will have to be fast, since size will be an issue. Overall, the team is small. Depth is another problem. While many of the Knights play both ways, Allred will need some newcomers to step up and help out.
* MLB Marcos Morales plays basically with one arm, said Allred. The other arm suffers from severe nerve damage.
Connell had a run for the last few years, but most coaches agree that this will be Royal's turn again to possibly dominate the SCAC East.
The Knights also have a legitimate shot at playing for the 1A state championship this season. A tough nonleague schedule will help them prepare.