On May 3 in...
* 2000 -- Lucas Meredith and Jonathan Staats tossed complete-game victories as Kiona-Benton swept Toppenish 21-2 and 10-2 in CWAC South baseball, clinching a district berth for the Bears.
* 1993 -- Columbia Basin College's Ken Bensel shot a 35 on the back nine in rainy and windy conditions, finishing with a 72 to take a 2-stroke lead after the first round of the CBC Invitational at Canyon Lakes.
* 1988 -- Hanford scored four runs in the fifth inning and reliver Craig Nelson stopped a Selah rally in the bottom of the seventh, as the Falcons beat the Vikings 5-4 in Mid-Valley League play. Chris Roberts had two hits for Hanford.
Never miss a local story.
* 1976 -- Tom Townsend, a 6-foot-8 center who led Walla Walla to the 1976 state basketball tournament averaging 15.5 points and 14 rebounds, signed a letter of intent to play at Boise State University.
* 1968 -- Glenn Ferris had two hits and scored two runs as host Moses Lake defeated Othello 3-2 in a nonleague baseball game.