On March 16 in ...
* 2003 -- Ben Kilgour earned for awards and Brett Festerling three at the annual Tri-City Americans' awards banquet. Kilgour won the Ams' MVP award, the community leader award, the Todd Klassen award and the Mr. Hustle award. Festerling was named the recipient of the Rookie of the Year award, the scholarship award, and the Most Gentlemanly Player award.
* 2000 -- Brian Smith scored 22 minutes into the match to give the Hanford boys soccer team a 1-0 nonleague victory over host Moses Lake.
* 1993 -- Kamiakin High graduate Heath Dolven scored 21 points to lead Central Washington University over Central Arkansas 78-66 in the first round of the NAIA men's national basketball championships in Kansas City.
Never miss a local story.
* 1984 -- Shawn Linhoff scored on an errant pickoff throw in the bottom of the seventh inning to give host Kennewick a 2-1 baseball victory over Hanford.
* 1973 -- Richland scored 32 points without a miss -- 10 field goals and 11 free throws -- en route to a 82-68 boys basketball victory over Shadle Park in the AAA regional tournament. Sophomore Mike Neill led the Bombers with 33 points, while Dick Cartmell and Keith Pritchard each added 15 points.