On Sept. 14 in ...
* 1957 -- Garold Crowder rushed for 80 yards, including a TD plunge from the two, as the Prosser Mustangs opened the Yakima Valley A conference season with a 13-7 win over the Cle Elum Warriors.
* 1971 -- Tri-Citians Lewayne Barnhart, Dan Remarenko and Andy Vermeulen landed fish measuring 5-foot and 11 inches, 5-10 and 5-4 during a sturgeon fishing expedition on the Columbia near Paterson. Turned loose were larger varieties measuring 8-9 and 7-10, one of which the anglers reported put up a 90-minute battle for its freedom.
* 1973 -- Royal City sophomore fullback Frank Morgan carried the ball 11 times for 63 yards and a touchdown as the Knights rallied from a 7-0 second-quarter deficit to defeat the Goldendale Timberwolves 21-7 in a Valley A League game.
* 1993 -- USA Today ranked the Kamiakin program at No. 19 in its national high school football poll. The Braves had defeated Walla Walla 41-0 in their season opener the week previous.
* 1996 -- Cammie Papineau rode BJ Desis Azure to a wire-to-wire victory to win the $6,700 Pot O' Gold Derby in front of an estimated 894 fans who wagered a total handle of $42, 462.