People continue to complain about the federal government not accomplishing anything. The blame seems to be leveled at the Republicans for not compromising with the Democrats in passing legislation.
I wonder if those people realize that each and every piece of legislation voted for and sent to the Oval Office adds to the federal debt. A debt that is increasing at a rate that is beyond comprehension. In 1950 the gross domestic product was $300 billion and U.S. government spending was 23 percent of that figure. In 2014, the GDP was $17.3 trillion and U.S. government spending was 36 percent of that figure.
In 2014, an estimated 53 percent of the U.S. population paid income taxes. That leaves 47 percent who think the government doesn’t cost them anything. As of December 2014, the U.S. government owes approximately $18 trillion. That equates to $153,000 for each and every citizen.
It seems that a do-nothing Congress is beneficial when compared to the tax-and-spend version. The American people must remember that the government does not produce anything, but simply takes from one citizen and gives to another after wasting a large percentage. So people should thank their conservative representatives.
Never miss a local story.
Dennis Carlyle, Kennewick