About 2005, a new $315,000 house in Ohio burned to the ground.
The insurance adjuster said the fire resulted from a kinked electrical cable being pulled through a hole. No one died as a result. That cable was installed contrary to National Electric Code.
I've seen many houses in the Tri-Cities with un-permitted and unsafe work. One in Richland has a water heater fire and electrocution hazard under an improperly designed replacement basement stairway, structurally unsound with insufficient fireblock. None of the work was permitted.
Un-permitted work is a negative to a prospective buyer and to banks, which will not lend on houses with un-permitted work.
Never miss a local story.
The building department, permits and codes are not the enemy. The enemy is the fire in the middle of the night that could kill a family, or stairway collapsing as a heavy freezer is moved to the basement.
Improperly done and potentially dangerous work are the enemy -- dangers to occupants and rescue crews.
Building permits, including those for home remodeling, are an inexpensive way to get assistance and oversight from professional engineers who understand engineering and safety, that generate building codes to facilitate correct and safe work.
DAVID CAMPBELL, Richland