Vista Field should remain open for a wide variety of reasons.
1. All three port commissioners voted and committed to keep it open.
2. Cadwell Labs has invested more than $2 million on Vista Field based on that commitment and has increased its employee count monthly.
3. Another multimillion dollar facility is in the planning process by Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute on the land they have already purchased at Vista Field.
Never miss a local story.
4. Three other companies desire to locate at Vista Field.
5. At least two private parties desire to build hangars at Vista Field as soon as an operator for Vista Field is functional.
6. The typical operational net income as reported at Vista Field since 2004 has been from a high of making $4,482 to a loss of $39,592. Is this a reasonable expenditure of tax dollars to bring and maintain manufacturing jobs to the Tri-Cities that employ a couple of hundred employees?
7. There are approximately 20 businesses that actively use Vista Field on a regular basis.
8. Airports, seaports and manufacturing districts are owned by ports because they don't make money but are essential for the commerce in an area. It is an investment in creating primary jobs and commerce in an area. This is purpose of the port at Vista Field.
9. A study by the port shows that the cost of shutting down the airport is millions of dollars that the port cannot afford without curtailing all the great projects they are currently working on.
10. A way to do this decidedly better is being worked on -- and no it does not cost anything close to $20 millio-33 million. If it did, I would not be in favor of it either.
-- CARL CADWELL, Kennewick