Mr. Badalamente’s explanation as to why the Democratic Party has superdelegates (TCH, Oct. 23) was amusing to me. According to him, superdelegates are there to prevent an outsider candidate from taking over the party. According to him, the Democratic outsider in this case wanted to “choke the moderate out of it” and make it Social Democratic.
It is further explained that this outsider wanted to implement policies to reduce the gap between the 1 percent and the remaining 99 percent, expand Social Security, offer free college tuition and paid family and medical leave, rebuild America’s infrastructure, and tax the rich.
So let me understand this. The superdelegates prevented the outsider from being the nominee due to these proposed policies. What happened? The choice of the superdelegates supports the same policies as the outsider. Mr. Badalamente’s description of the outsider so aptly fits the Democratic Party nominee.
So, what was the real reason for the superdelegates to choose their nominee? Oh that’s right. Former presidents, congressional leaders, and big-money fundraisers, labor leaders and longtime party functionaries would see their influence greatly reduced. Change does not come easy and in this case not at all.
Never miss a local story.
Dan Suter, West Richland