Water Follies weekend is upon us and we want to give you all some key reminders.
If we sound a little bit like a nagging relative, it's because we care about you.
Most of the potential pitfalls of a weekend of fun in the sun can be avoided with a little advance planning and preparation. So here are some critical reminders:
* If you plan to partake in adult libations in the private tents or public beer gardens, please be responsible. Have a designated driver take you home. We'd hate for a fun weekend to be ruined by a tragic accident or an arrest.
Never miss a local story.
* It will be hot. Finally. Hydration is key to a fun weekend. And when we say "hydration," we mean fluids like water and sports drinks. Caffeine and alcohol will contribute to dehydration, so make sure to match them with water intake.
* Sunscreen is your friend. Slather it on and repeat often. A hat is a good idea, too.
* Footwear. We like fashionable footwear as much as the next person, but for the Water Follies, you need something sturdy and comfortable. Conditions vary from asphalt to grass to the rocky shores of the Columbia River. You need something that can take you through all of the above. Trust us, you'll be doing some walking.
* Keep a positive attitude. Putting on an event like the Water Follies is a huge logistical task for the folks who volunteer to help out. They're doing the best they can to get you where you need to go in a timely manner.
Have some patience, be kind to your neighbor, and remember, this is fun.