June 25, 1950. A low-lying trailer court next door and been almost completely evacuated.
Sandbags are made ready to be piled on Smith's curve west of Kennewick as the swollen Columbia River topped out at the edge of the pavement in this photo dated June 25, 1950. The workers are volunteer residents of the area. The materials were furnished by the State Highway Department. The barrier was placed where the current struck the bank the strongest.
Fab Bennett, a member of the Finley School board in this photo dated Mar. 13, 1977, had lived in the Finley area all his life and had no plans to leave.
Rainwater collectd around the Mug Inn and the Goodson home behind it, about five miles west of Kennewick on the South side of Columbia Avenue in this photo dated June 25, 1950. These buildings were high and dry in 1948 until the river came over the road. Efforts were made to arrange for a pump to dry out the area.
Flood waters from Rainier Avenue had far reaching effects as shown in this photo dated Feb. 1, 1952. Owners of the Columbia Motel on Highway 410 far below Rainier Avenue watched helplessely as the water, which was diverted across the Tri-Cities Golf Course, flowed down on them. Four motel apartments were soon under 18 inches to two feet of water. Damage was estimated in excess of $1,000.
Wild Bill Groceries and Meats in Island View was feeling the effects of the Columbia River's flooding in June, 1950.
This photo, published June 7, 1961 show flood waters taking a toll at Columbia Park. Post of the park area was underwater. The rier was spilling over into the lagoon and higher water was expected.
This photo, taken in June 1974 shows flooding in Columbia Park.
These Rainier Street moppets, if they were expecting to see their street roar as in days of yore during thaws, were somewhat disappointed when this photo was published on Feb. 1963. In previous years, Rainier Street floodwaters, most of which originated in Zintel Canyon, have surged over the sidewalk where the children were standing. The water flow never exceeded by much the level shown here. City crews later replaced the gratings, reopened the street to traffic, and everyone went home.
Rainier Street in Kennewick became a river again when this photo was published on Feb. 24, 1956. Rain had melted snow and sent water flowing down Zintel Canyon. Workmen, above, under the supervision of City Manager William Hansen, center in overcoat, were throwing sandbags across First Avenue to keep the water out of that street. The last flood in Kennewick was in February, 1952.
"See, the willows are still here," exclaimed Walt Desgranges, right, when he and his boyhood chum, Bill Shaughnessy, left, visited the site of a then-60-year-old duck pond near Kennewick's Arbor Homes subdivision in this photo published on Jan. 18, 1966. Both men were opposed to a drainage project in Arbor Homes area.
This undated photo slows melting snow flooding a Kennewick street.
Odette Legrande is shown in this photo published on June 8, 1976. Legrande was known as "La Petite Mama des Americains," was a former member of the French Underground who, with her husband Gaston, left, helped 24 downed American pilots escape from occupied France during World War II. The Legrandes were reunited with Oscar Hamblin, center, 144 N. Neel Loop, Kennewick. Hamblin's B-17 bomber was shot down in 1943. Hit three times with shrapnel, Hamblin parachuted to the ground near Clermont, France, where he lay bleeding until nightfall. Gaston found Hamblin, loaded him on his motorcycle and took him home where Odette tended his wounds and fed him.
This photo, published on July 6, 1975, showes the June 27th wedding ceremony of Romele Dripps and Dennis Sneve. Both had cerebral palsy, Dennis was a deaf mute, Romele could hear but couldn't speak, but their minds and feelings were not impaired. They were both residents of Vistavue Care Center.
Jim and Betty Hinckley are shown on their boat on the Columbia River in this photo published on June 19, 1977. Jim's parents, Howard and Jo Hindley were charter members of Clover Island Yacht Club when it formed in 1953. When Jim was young, his family lived in a house where the Columbia Park hydroplane pit area was located.
George Grunwald left, toasted his brother Erwin in George's Kennewick home as they were reunited for the first time since World War II in Germany. Grunwald, 7 N. Irby St. and his brother were separated during the war when George left Germany for Czechoslovakia with his parents and Erwin stayed behind with their grandparents.
Photo of the old Hover store and post office and it's eventual removal.
Photo of the old Hover store and post office and it's eventual removal.
This is a photo of the old Hover store and post office in the Hover-Finley area.
There were 17 demoninations at the old Finley Community Church when this photo was taken in 1919. Mrs. Ewin (Winnie) Angell, the lady with the hat, circled on the right, is the daughter-in-law of George E. Finley after whom the area was named. Others still living in the Kennewick area when this photo was published on April 6, 1973 are W. F. Altrogge, top left, and Glen Felton, just below him. Circled at the bottom is Altrogge's daughter, Mrs. Robert Rubb, as a child.
On Feb. 6, 1956 these two women were preparing to ice skate on the Columbia River at Clover Island. Karen Puthoff perched on the bow of her father's, Mr. Joe Puthoff, boat as he laced up the skates of her friend Marie Kirkendall. They were all from Kennewick.
Keeping irrigation water out of the Daryl Lint window well was a three-woman job when this photo was taken in the early 1960s. Defying the CID flood were water-bailers from left, Carol McIntyre, Sharon McIntyre, and Linda Lint. The home is at 1715 S. Dayton Place.
It was the second flood in two years for Bill Butler, Kennewick city engineer. The flooding was caused by irrigation water. Butler, who felt that he just wasn't meant to live at 1711 S. Dayton Place, decided to ponder the question from his backyard lawn chair in the early 1960s.
Rosa Lucero, a clerk, looks through police records at Kennewick City Hall in this photo dated April 5, 1976.
May 25 1984, Khanh Tran stands with a blackboard full of his specialty - tough words.
This photo, taken in the early 1960s shows the new cloverleaf at the end of the blue bridge.
This photo shows the Hi-Land Drive-In at the corner of Clearwater Avenue and Highway 396 (Highway 14). It was to be demolished in 1975 to make way for a shopping center.
This photo, published on Dec. 18, 1975 shows George Rhone as he prepares to resume the task of dismantling the 65-foot high Hi-Land Drive-In theater screen. The theater was located at the corner of Clearwater Avenue and what is now Highway 395 and was built in 1949. Rhone salvaged the lumber and sheet metal and resold it.
July 6, 1976, Jim Browning can longer give himself insulin shots, but his bad eyes dont't effect his job as an operator for the phone cmpany. To prepare for his upcoming siteless life Jim sometimes wears a blindfold.
Another aerial photo of the flood water's path through Kennewick in 1956.
This photo, taken in 1978 shows the Columbia Estates Mobile Home Park at the intersection of Columbia Center Drive and Clearwater Avenue in Kennewick.
A worn out Spokane Portland and Seattle railroad passenger car serves as a backdrop for a horse pasture in Kennewick near Andrew's cold storage. Ultimately the passenger car may become part of a proposed Kennewick Kiwanis railrad museum, but the only spectators wehn this photo was published on Mar. 31, 1977 were a few Appaloosa horses.
Harold Delgado, left, and Jim Lair, Kennewick Street Department, installed warning signs apologizing for a rough crossing near Washington Street and Canal Drive in this photo published on Oct. 1, 1978.
Burlington Northern railroad's old crossing signal remains in the middle of newly-widened Edison street in this photo published July 22, 1977. The signal did not come down as soon as expected.
John Garman, retired Kennewick train engineer, recalled the years he used this oler on the many engines he operated in this photo published on Jyly 15, 1977.
This photo, published Jan. 19, 1978 shows Burlington Northern railroad's crossing signal firmly planted in the middle of Kennewick's widened Edison Street, but it was scheduled to be removed by October of that year.
This photo, published in 1978 shows the Grego boys at play. Butch, left, and Troy and Thomas play in a sand pile outside their Finley home. The boys were enjoying country life after moving with their parents, Jim and Carol Grego, from Levittown on Long Island in New York. Army 1st Sgt. Thomas Grego, now a West Richland police officer, returned home after a nearly yearlong tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2008.
The old River View High School was razed when the new school was built in Finley.
Al Meneely pumped gas at his Half-Acre grocery store in Finley while his wife watched in this photo published in 1976
Mrs. Lucille Stevens, office supervisor of the Kennewick Police Department, recently helped introduce a new uniform for women in the department. The checked necktie and skirt were new items when this photo was published on Jan. 4, 1973.
Receiving Tri-Cities Driving Skill Award was Kennewick Police Officer Clifford Morgan. Morgan (wearing hat) earned the hightest score of 70 local policemen taking the defensive driving test. At left was Kennewick Police Chief O. C. "Dutch" Lincoln; at right, State Patrolmen L. L. Hanford and Lee Baughman, who laid out the 1.2-mile course. This photo was published on April 4, 1968.
Jockey Nora Boyd headed for the finish line at top speed during a practice run at Tumblweed Track when this photo was published on Mar. 16, 1975. Ten years earlier women weren't allowed to bring horses into the paddock. By 1975 on-third of the barn help at the Kennewick track were female.
World champion Quarter Horse jockey Bobby Adair relaxes before riding at Tumbleweed. Adair was one of many top jockeys in the country who rode at the racetrack in Kennewick. This photo was published on Mar. 6, 1975.
Quarter horses bolt from the gate at Tumblweed Race Track at the Benton Franklin fairgrounds in Kennewick. This photo was published on Mar. 6, 1975.
Horse racing at Tumblweed track in Kennewick at the Benton Franklin fairgrounds. This photo was published on Mar. 9, 1975.
At its peak, the parimutuel betting at Tumbleweed averaged slightly more than $100,000 a day.
Tumbleweed Race track as seen from the air. When this photo was published on Mar. 6, 1975 the race strip had been resurfaced at a cost of $60,000. Improvements had also been made in the refreshment areas. The track is now known as Sun Downs.
Safeway in Kennewick posted this sign in this photo dated Aug. 29, 1978. A pulp and paper strike had limited sources for paper bags for the retailer.
Becky Fritch, center, was the first woman apprentice carpenter in the Tri-Cities when this photo was published on Aug. 4, 1974. Helping her was the contractor, Elmer King, Moses Lake, at left, and carpenter Harry Lanning, Othello. They were working on a supermarket under construction in Kennewick.
Kennewick High School track coaches Kathy Nicholaus and Dave Rockstrom cut the ribbon on the school's new eight-lane, all-weather track in this photo Mar. 27, 1978.
Gina Grothe, left, gave Kennewick High School graduate Glenda Denton a congratulatory hug at commencement in this photo dated June 4, 1978.
A bird's-eye-view of Kamiakin High School in Kennewick is shown in this photo dated Mar. 10, 1974.
This photo, dated Dec. 12, 1979 shows Mrs. McMenamin, a teacher at a Kennewick school and an unnamed student.
Shirley Illig, a fourth-grader at Vista School in Kennewick, said, in this photo dated Oct. 15, 1979, that she enjoys school lunches like this one.
Laurel Piippo is shown teaching a class in Kennewick in this Feb. 5, 1975 photo.
A circus mobile, created by Seattle artists Jeanne Detlor and Sheila Kline, was suspended in the library of Canyon View Elementary School, Kennewick, when this photo was published on April 13, 1979. The $6,000 art object was funded under a State Building Art Project, which allocated half a percent of the total cost of a buiding goes into art.
Fruitland School's kindergarteners visited with farm animals in this photo of the Kennewick students learning from the horse's mouth at Keewaydin Park was taken on May 8, 1979.
O.C. Lund, left, and Howard Knapstaf of Hazen & Clark Construction Co., Spokane, prepared concrete for a unique roof drain on the main classroom building at Desert Hills Middle School. in the background are the gym, library and administration building, and art, home economics, music and shop building. This photo was published on Aug. 7, 1977.
John Owen, band director at Kennewick High School, practiced on a 16-foot garden hose he planned to serenade students with in the cafeteria. In addition to Owen, "four of the most non-musical faculty members" at the school agreed to accompany him when this photo was published on May 20, 1977.