Shown at the time of its gala opening in October 1950 is the Uptown Theatre in Richland.
A bouquet of red roses was presented by Carolee Davidson, Miss Tri-Cities, to Mrs. Warren G. Magnuson on her first visit to the TriCities for the dedication of the Federal Building in Richland. Mrs. Magnuson is shown in this Nov. 10, 1965, photo “hatless in a pink wool suit, gold bangle bracelets and gold oval earrings.”
Workers in the Richland Federal Building sample food provided by Szabo Food Services in this Dec. 2, 1965, photo.
On June 14, 1973, with school out for the summer, these three youngsters tried their luck off a pier on a railroad bridge across the Yakima River in Richland.
Memorial Day parade in 1957 included cadets from the Civil Air Patrol in Richland.
This decades-old photo shows part of a group of 32 Richland sixth-grade students and 50 teachers from all over the state learning about the great outdoors at Clear Creek Camp west of Yakima. This firsthand experience was part of a program to teach the wise use of natural resources.
This photo, showing children hunting for artifacts at an old Indian burial ground west of Richland, was published April 10, 1955. To stop the souvenir hunting, the Atomic Energy Commission announced signs would be posted and the Hanford Patrol would prevent any further digging.
Dr. H. L. Cahn of Richland displays some of the many items he has removed from the throats and stomachs of children and adults in this April 13, 1960, photo. The jars contain everything from tacks to earrings. Instruments in the foreground are used to remove the objects without surgery. X-Ray, in background, is used to determine the objects’ location.
Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Watts stood beside two pieces of petrified wood that mark the entryway to their home at 312 George Washington Way, Richland. The two pieces, shown in this Oct. 17, 1977 photo, still stand in this location.
Lawrence Scott, Kennewick city councilman, left, Harry Custer, mayor of Pasco, and Fred Lewis, president of the Richland community council, were shown Jan. 14, 1954, preparing to board the inaugural flight of Johnson Airlines’ Spokane to Seattle route that included a stop at the Pasco Airport.
The community center in Richland is a swinging place on Friday nights, as shown in this Dec. 3, 1957, photo. About 200 to 300 youngsters turned out for the sessions taught by Fred and Blanche Miles, and sponsored by the recreation department and the Youth Council.
Richland Jewelers, opened July 12, 1948, by Ray Hall is shown in this undated photo. The store occupied the corner of the Amon Building at the corner of George Washington Way and Lee Boulevard.
Richland businesses were expanding to the west when Trustworthy Hardware moved. The building was shared by Frank Elliot’s Interiors, not shown, in this Sept. 23, 1967, photo.
Margaret Thompson of Kennewick, center, and Mrs. G. C. Sutch, of Richland, are shown meeting in Olympia with Gov. Dan Evans in this Dec. 19, 1965, photo. They were helping plan a tour of Washington and Oregon points of interest along the Lewis and Clark trail.
Benjamin Rosencrance, a veteran of the Civil War, is shown in this undated photo at the age of 90. He and his wife Mary settled in the Richland Y area in 1880 and developed a stage coach station.
Gordon Hanna, shown in the foreground of this 1954 photo, had an idea to celebrate his first year in business. Offer his food at 1932 prices. Richland residents were appreciative and Hanna sold 500 gallons of ice cream by 2:30 p.m.
Richland’s first council was sworn in on Dec 11, 1958, by assistant Benton County Prosecutor Herbert Davis, right. Councilmen are, from left: Ernest Street; Paul Beardsley; Mrs. Pat Merrill, who was the city’s first mayor; Les Coon; Fred Brackenbush; Joyce Kelly; and Fred Clagett.
A peaceful spring morning on the Greenway prior to its conversion to the paved Parkway in Richland in 1952.
The foundations for buildings at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory office and laboratory complex in Richland take shape in this aerial photo taken during construction in 1966.
Columbia High School was about the only thing standing in the south end of Richland when this photo was taken in 1948. The school has long since been replaced by Richland High and the fields below it with homes and businesses.
Space was tight at Columbia High School in Richland. The permanent records for 1,200 students were stored in a small vault as shown in this Aug. 28, 1960, photo. Richland’s first bond election was a $2 million request to build a new high school.
Jim Fallon was a well-known cowboy in the pre-World War I days in Richland. He helped his mother operate a small ranch about 10 miles west of Richland.
Civil Defense Coordinator Donald Gossard is shown in 1954 at the radio set that was an emergency backup system in case an air raid on Richland knocked out the telephone reporting system. The Civil Defense Center was in the basement of the 703 Building with an entrance on Knight Street.
Kids selling drinks in the summertime is a tradition. The price has changed, however, since this Aug. 14, 1974, photo. Kool-Aid sold for 2 cents a glass by Christi Cole, 7, Richland, to Michael Houston, 4, while Steve Cole, 5, watched.
The Northwest United Protestant Church in Richland is shown in this Oct. 11, 1953, photo.
Richland Jaycees and their wives traveled to the 34th annual convention of the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce in Colorado Springs, Colo. Shown in this June 20, 1954, photo are, front row, from left: Mary Spohr, Vada Elfers, Barnie Warner, Eunice Heaston, Dorothy Gillette, Marge Yesburger and Claribel Benson. Second row: Herb Elfers, George Gillette, Bob Benson, Bill Heaston and Don Keigher.
The fire station in Richland on George Washington Way is shown in this 1953 photo.
Workmen are shown dismantling the Atomic Energy Commission administration building in Richland in this March 25, 1963, photo as excavation work for the new federal building was set to begin where the 705 building, in foreground, already had been demolished.
Committee members of the student “Save Our Schools” group meet to work on posters and pamphlets that will be distributed to encourage residents to vote for Richland’s $13.7 million school levy in this June 10, 1964, photo. From left are Bob LeClair, Ernie Wegener, Alex Clary, Guy Forbes Jr. and Det Wegener.
Sam Volpentest, left, points to a sign in Richland celebrating the city's All America City designation by Look magazine in 1961. Two men at right are unidentified. East Benton
Freezing temperatures kept the crowd small at this big event, Richland's Commencement ceremony on December 12, 1958. Richland "graduated" to an incorporated city, the 11th largest in the state of Washington.
An aerial view of north Richland, taken in 1971, shows the office and laboratory complex of the Pacific Northwest Laboratory, with the 300 Area and the White Bluffs in the background. Photos special to the Herald/PNN
Groundbreaking on the new $500,000 Richland City Hall gets under way in this March 23, 1958, photo. Mayor Fred Clagett is shown turning over the first shovelful of dirt. He is flanked by Ed Peddicord, left, and John Dam, who had lived in Richland since 1912.
Richlanders or other persons having inquiries or who are booked into jail for some reason will go to this desk. Behind it is Sgt. Mike Gordon of the Richland Police Department in this 1959 photo.
Winners of the “Commencement Day” essay and poem contest for Richland public and parochial schools are shown in this Dec. 11, 1958, photo. From left are Wendy Walker, Carmichael; Sandy Harmon, Chief Joseph; Pat Artz, Christ the King; and Howard Kirz, Columbia High.
In sharp contrast to the days in 1943 when the Desert Inn Hotel (now Red Lion) was first opened in Richland by the government, this newly remodeled room shows the improvements by the new owners, Vance Properties, in May 1953.
Some 3,000 square dancers dosey-doed at Art Dawald Gym at Richland High School in this June 16, 1975, photo. They were participating in the 25th Washington State Square Dancers’ convention.
Battelle technician Jim Reeves, left, receives a soil sample from the moon from Louis Rancitelli in this 1969 photo at the Richland laboratory. The material was being analyzed to measure the amount and energy of radiation it contained. The sealed container held about 5 percent of the world’s supply of materials from the moon.
Ronald Reagan signs autographs for Richland schoolchildren in 1956 on a visit to Hanford during which he promoted safety and security and visited Carmichael Junior High School.
Benira “Bennie” Ritter, supervisor of Kadlec Methodist Hospital laboratories in Richland, is shown in this April 9, 1961, photo. Ritter started working at Kadlec in 1945 and recalls the first lab work: “A bloodsugar test heated over an acetylene torch.”
This shot of a Richland neighborhood in February 1944 shows some of the 1,800 prefabricated buildings that were brought to town during World War II to help house the 50,000 workers who built the nuclear reactors and other facilities required for plutonium production. The first nuclear bomb was made from plutonium produced at the Hanford as part of the war effort.
The Richland Library opened in 1951 in a building that originally was a garage. The library boasted 47,000 volumes, a newly built annex and air conditioning when this Dec. 12, 1958, photo was taken.
The Rathjen family of Richland played the role of atomic refugees during a simulated nuclear attack on the MidColumbia in 1956. The Civil Defense exercise was aimed at preparing Richland for an actual attack, which seemed a real possibility during the height of the Cold War. Shown in the photograph are Max and Mrs. Rathjen holding 5monthold Karen, and children, from left, Susie, 3, Betsy, 6, and Kathy, 8. The family got in their car and headed out of town with other families participating in the exercise.
Susan Gifford delivers a report during Student Government Day at the Richland City Council chambers in this Feb. 5, 1961, photo.
Sharon Tate, 16, was a student at Columbia High School in Richland when she was chosen Miss Richland during the 1959 Atomic Frontier Days, as well as Miss Autorama of 1958-1959. She abdicated two weeks later when her father, Maj. Paul J. Tate, was assigned to Italy after his tour at Camp Hanford. She went on to start a promising film career, which included a leading role in Valley of the Dolls, before she was murdered by the followers of Charles Manson in 1969.
On their first visit to the Tri-Cities on Labor Day weekend in 1947, Sam and Emily stopped in at The Mart, a Richland restaurant recreation hall located on the corner of Jadwin and Knight south of the Federal Building, operated in Richland in the 1940s.