A flight instructor offers tips to an aviation cadet Nov. 2, 1943, at the Pasco Naval Air Station. The pilots assigned to the base, which is now the site of the TriCities Airport, received 84 hours of flying time, including bombing and strafing runs on a practice range in West Richland. Bombing Range Road still bears the wartime name, although the naval station was closed shortly after the war.
Teri Gibson, Pasco, displayed the grand champion Future Farmers of America turkey at the 1977 Benton-Franklin County Fair. The bird was the future star of someone's dinner table by November.
John Sampson, Pasco, said he took this Sumer Giant squash's big brother to the 1979 Benton-Franklin County Fair. This 200 pounds-plus squash will end up as many a winter meal.
Susie Hall, drum major for the Kamiakin High School marching band led the way down Fourth Avenue in the 1977 Benton-Franklin County Fair parade in Pasco.
The Tri-City Water Follies float won the sweepstakes award at the 1977 Benton-Franklin County Fair parade in Pasco.
Locomotive Steam Crane 89, was the only steam-propelled piece of equipment still in use on the Northern Pacific’s Idaho Division shown in this April 13, 1958, photo. Engineer Ray R. Bingham, Spokane, right, and Yard Pilot J. F. Hines, Pasco, stood proudly near the powerful hoister, both hoping the NP would continue using this last remnant of the passing steam age.
This aerial photo taken in the 1950s shows the newly completed Pioneer Memorial Bridge (blue bridge) and the city of Pasco.
Workmen installed new street lights on Pasco’s Sylvester and Court streets in this Jan. 31, 1962, photo. The city’s annual PUD bill for street lights was $34,761.
Although train traffic on the Northern Pacific Railway’s Pasco-Kennewick bridge continued at a precautionary 5 mph, the bridge appeared sound after the 233-ton barge “Port of Longview” struck the span and sank at one end on June 11, 1959. A portion of the barge that had wedged itself against the bridge was removed.
For the first time, on Aug. 23, 1959, three sets of twins were in the nursery at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Pasco. From left to right are nurse Darlene Eason, holding Sharon and Karen Lee, daughters of Mr. And Mrs. Wesley Hackworth; Sister Paula Marie, holding Mark and Michael, sons of Mr. and Mrs. George Hood; and Margaret Hamilton, holding Deborah And Denise, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Phillips.
The dedication of the new Pasco Library took place April 29, 1962. B.B. Horrigan, pioneer Pasco lawyer, gave the dedication address, flags were presented by the VFW Auxiliary, and music was provided by American Legion Post’s Junior Drum and Bugle Corps.
When air mail was in its infancy, Varney Air Lines pilot George Buck posed in front of a Swallow biplane in 1926 in Pasco. He's equipped with what every mail pilot should carry, including a ham, water, ax, loaf of bread, pistol and homing pigeon.
Sister Anthony Marie, hospital administrator at Our Lady of Lourdes in Pasco, awarded pins to women who have been employed at the hospital for 15 years. Shown in this May 17, 1964, photo are, from left, Mrs. Pauline Mathia, Miss Bertha Fehl Haber, Sister Anthony Marie, Mrs. Audra Mangum, Mrs. Thelma La Plante, Mrs. Luquilla Blair and Mrs. Alma Guss. Five- and 10-year pins also were awarded. Of 200 employees, 55 received recognition.
Carl’s Shoes at Fourth Avenue and Lewis Street in Pasco held its grand opening in August 1965.
The Carnegie Library, built in 1911 in Pasco, is shown in this photo from the 1950s. The library moved to new facilities in 1962. The original building now houses the Franklin County Historical Society. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
This March 19, 1953, photo shows the Pasco City Hall that was built in 1911 with a $30,000 bond. It was designed by the architects Lewis Wilson and Co., Portland and Chehalis. The bell tower was built at a later date. The building was deemed a wornout relic in 1955 and torn down.
On May 23, 1962, more than a half-inch of rain fell on the Tri-Cities, creating hubcap-deep water on West Court Street in Pasco after obstructed storm drains left up to 8 inches of water on the roadway.
Lawrence Scott, Kennewick city councilman, left, Harry Custer, mayor of Pasco, and Fred Lewis, president of the Richland community council, were shown Jan. 14, 1954, preparing to board the inaugural flight of Johnson Airlines’ Spokane to Seattle route that included a stop at the Pasco Airport.
Patients line the hallways in this January 1950 photo showing the overcrowded conditions in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Pasco.
The Tri-City Seventh-day Adventist Church in Pasco was dedicated Oct. 19, 1957. The Tri-Cities were dotted with new church structures in the 1950s.
Building inspector Robert Lovelace pushes three boxes from the old city hall in Pasco to the new one in this May 27, 1955, photo. The new building, built at a cost of $245,000, was open for business on May 31, 1955.
A 1947-model Stinson airplane is bent and on its back at the Vista Airfield airstrip after a windstorm swept through the Tri-Cities in December of 1961. The wind snapped two 1,000-pound-test mooring ropes and a chain which tied down the tail. Bill Cawley, the plane’s owner, said it had just been restored from wind damage at the Pasco airport several years before.
In the chaotic days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Navy decided Pasco’s inexpensive land and good weather would make an ideal flight training base. It was built in 18 months and commissioned on July 11, 1942. Base personnel are shown at attention during a captain’s inspection in this Nov. 9, 1944, photo.
Drivers negotiating recent traffic jams can appreciate the delays motorists faced trying to get across the old green bridge when this photo was taken in 1949. The narrow, 2,113-foot-long span was just downstream from the cable bridge between Kennewick and Pasco. It was built in 1921 with 10,672 tons of concrete and 1,015 tons of steel at a cost of $480,000. The green bridge was finally demolished in 1990, after a nine-year court battle by advocates who wanted to preserve it as a historic structure.
Lon Leeper, Pasco postmaster, exchanged air mail letters at Tri-Cities Airport with Robert Yakes, a private Yakima pilot, shown in this 1968 photo. Nearly 1,500 letters were stamped with a special cachet in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of air mail delivery. The first airmail in the Pacific Northwest began in 1926, eight years later.
Seventh-day Adventist missionaries Mr. and Mrs. David Gouge, shown in this Aug. 1, 1969, photo, recently had returned from Vietnam. Mrs. Gouge wore a traditional Vietnamese costume when they made an appearance at the Pasco Kiwanis luncheon. Gouge was principal of Tri-City Junior Academy in Pasco from 1962-65.
Jennings Pioneer Hotel is shown in this Dec. 21, 1966, photo. Built in 1908-09, the hotel used to sit across from the Pasco train depot. The hotel was sold by Franklin County for back taxes in 1966.
Construction of a 50-ton pontoon bridge is seen in this Sept. 18, 1949, photo after a fire on Sept. 9 burned of the wood-floored bridge over the Snake River near Pasco. As soon as the pontoons were unloaded from trucks, troops of the 573rd Engineer Pontoon Bridge Company began fitting them together for the 909-foot span. Engineers considered the pontoon bridge better than a ferry for handling the heavy volume of traffic.
JC Penney Co. in downtown Pasco was celebrating its remodeling in the 1950s with a sale. Blaine Elliot, Mrs. W. Savage and W. R. Martini, behind the counter, are showing the goods to customers Mrs. G. L. Burke, left, and Mrs. R. H. Rasmussen.
Jim Yamauchi, foreman of the Burlington Northern ice house in Pasco, showed how it was done when the facility, built in the 1920s, serviced up to 6,000 freight cars a year. The block-long facility off Highway 12 had a loading platform a quarter-mile long and could load 70 cars at a time. The ice making was halted in 1973 in favor of diesel powered refrigerated cars.
Dave and Evelyn Butcher are shown in front of their home in Pasco in 1971. He worked in construction at Hanford and later owned Butcher’s Lumber Yard in Pasco.
Cmdr. Jack Dempsey of the United States Coast Guard is shown presenting a war bond to the daughter of R. F. Price at the Pasco Naval Air Station in this June 29, 1944 photo.
The post office in downtown Pasco as shown in the 1970s.
It was time for a cool drink after a warm day of play for Billy Merk and John Whitish, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Whitish of Pasco, shown in this May 26, 1963, photo.
Pasco kids took to the wading pool in Memorial Park to cool off on June 11, 1965. In the foreground were Jeff Gliden (back to camera) Randy Kime (arms in the air) and Roberta Kime.
Mike Fisher, left, and his sister Bonnie Wells, both champion log rollers, put a keen edge on their skill during a practice session at Hood Park in Pasco in this July 11, 1979, photo.
James Welch of Pasco had two hats, a mechanic’s cap and a volunteer firefighter’s helmet. Wearing a fire helmet in this Feb. 23, 1965, photo, he was assistant chief of a rural fire company that was stationed in the building Welch owned at 2900 E. Lewis St.
When Vice President Lyndon Johnson came to dedicate the Ice Harbor Dam on May 9, 1962, he had his motorcade stop in downtown Pasco so he could sign autographs.
Masao Maruta, an employee of the Burlington Northern Railway ice house in Pasco, oils one of eight massive engines just before the plant closed in this 1973 photo. It was the last ice station still in operation, supplying ice to cool rail cars filled with perishable produce.
Herald photographer Ralph Smith was photographed as he took a photo of the General Motors experimental diesel locomotive when it was at Pasco. On June 19, 1955, several years after this photo was taken, it was published, showing Smith silhouetted in the large flash he exploded to record his picture of the evening’s event.
The Town Hotel was the first home of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital.
Town House Motel in Pasco was the original building that housed Lourdes Hospital.
Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson is greeted at the Pasco airport on May 9, 1962, by Gov. Rosellini and Senator Warren Magnuson during Johnson's trip to dedicate Ice Harbor Dam.
Vice President Lyndon Johnson, in a light-colored raincoat, left his official car at Fourth Avenue and Lewis Street to greet crowds of Pasco residents in June 1962. Johnson was in the Tri-Cities to dedicate Ice Harbor Dam.
Harold James, Pasco city councilman, files for mayor in this Dec. 15, 1961, photo. Taking his application was City Treasurer Mary Ellison.
A new telephone technology has arrived to help secretaries in this Dec. 27, 1962, photo of Jean Johnson at work in the Benton-Franklin Credit Bureau in Pasco. The company obtained the first two automatic dialing telephones in the Tri-Cities from Pacific Northwest Telephone. The phones automatically dial the number after a prepunched card is pushed into a recording slot, leaving the secretary’s hands free.
A historic view of Pasco’s roundhouse, which is being dismantled after dominating the Burlington Northern Sante Fe rail yard north of A Street since about 1910.
Pasco City Clerk Adah Perry points to a 10-year-old sign in this April 20, 1961, photo. Pasco had asked the state for new signs to reflect the city’s growth to 14,533.
This photo, dated July 17, 1943, shows a WAVE using a planer on a wing of an N2S5 at the Naval Air Station in Pasco.
President Harry S Truman signed the guest register after dedicating the Pasco Elks Club in this photo taken in 1950. At center is Roy Silliman; back right is the president’s daughter, Margaret Truman; and Sen. Warren G. Magnuson, D-Wash., is at right.