▪ On March 12, 74 students from Housel Middle School and Prosser High School traveled to Davis High School in Yakima to compete in the Central Washington regional National History Day competition.
Using the theme “Exploration, Encounter, and Exchange in History,” students presented documents, websites, exhibits, performances and historical research papers.
As a result of the regional competition, 27 students from Prosser’s middle and high schools advanced to the state National History Day competition, which will be held April 23 at Green River Community College in Auburn.
▪ The Fleet Reserve Association, Inland Empire Branch 038, recently selected five Kennewick students for the 2015-16 Americanism essay competition Grand National Prize. Their essays will be forwarded to the Northwest Region and then the National Americanism Committee, where they will have a chance to win up to $5,000.
Southridge High School sophomore Kiera Henderson and junior James Middleton each earned first place.
Madison Powers, a Southridge High sophomore and Hailey Quast, Kennewick High School junior, earned second place.
Senior Riley Santo from Kamiakin High School earned third place.
▪ The following students are graduates of Whitworth University in Spokane.
Kennewick — Emily Butler, B.S., health science w/Spanish & sociology minors.
Richland — Bryan Hassell, B.S., computer science.
West Richland — Katelyn Rapacz, BA, health science with psychology minor.
▪ The following students qualified for fall semester honor roll at Whitworth University, Spokane. To be listed, students must maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.75 during the semester.
Hermiston — Allison Rude
Kennewick — Skyler Boehnke, Mikayla Davis, Alexa Eisenbarth, Gavin Gervais, Michaela McCune, Victoria Roberts, MacKenzie Welsh.
Moses Lake — Levi Huddleston, Tommie McPhetridge, Katrina Ulnick.
Pasco — Ronny Banh, Lane King, Cynthia Tapia.
Richland — Lauren Asplund, Anneliese Barnes, Kailee Carneau, Brian Hevlow, Patrick Hickey, Denin Koch, Danica Marlin, Scott Mayfield, Carson Miller.
Touchet — Jolise Elsinghorst.
Walla Walla — Maggie Callan, Andrea Golden, Anna Hinz, Emily Leinweber, Lauren McCaw, Lilymarie McKeirnan, Maryrose McKeirnan, Clare Reese
▪ Lauren Ruskauff, of Richland, has been named to the dean’s honor list at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y., for the fall semester. The list recognizes full-time students who maintain grade-point averages of a minimum of 3.50 out of a possible 4.0 and have no grades below a C.
▪ The following students made the Seattle Pacific University autumn quarter dean’s list. Students must have completed at least 12 credits and attained a 3.50 or higher grade-point average.
Richland — Alyssa M. Arneson, Nicole K. Bachaud, Stephanie A. Butcher, Ian A. Gephart, Nathan J. Streufert.
Kennewick — Kyra T. Brannan, Hannah J. Evans, Samantha K. Irwin, Thu Pham.
Pasco — Reija D. Deshazo.
West Richland — Sierra A. Maple.
▪ The following students at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, Calif., served in ministry through the Center for Student Action during the fall semester.
Brian Walker of Kennewick, a biology major, served in local ministries.
Danika De Groot of Sunnyside, a nursing major, served in Mexico Outreach.
▪ Several local residents made the academic dean’s list at Azusa Pacific University. These students are honored for a fall 2015 grade-point average of 3.5 or better.
Danika DeGroot of Sunnyside, nursing major.
Molly Walker of Kennewick, nursing major.