A 44-year-old Kennewick man is facing more than two years in prison after admitting Monday that he sexually assaulted a pre-teen girl almost daily for at least a month.
David Vasquez Alcocer pleaded guilty in Benton County Superior Court to two counts of third-degree assault with sexual motivation.
The charges were reduced from second-degree child molestation after Judge Alex Ekstrom ruled last week that Alcocer’s confession could not be used in trial.
Ekstrom said he couldn’t determine if Alcocer was properly advised of his rights because the waiver form was in Spanish, and was not translated on the record to English.
Deputy Prosecutor Megan Whitmire said that left her with only the testimony of the girl, who disclosed last March that Alcocer had been inappropriately touching her for weeks.
Alcocer, when interviewed by sheriff’s detectives, admitted that he planned the sexual assault for when he knew the girl’s family was not around, court documents said.
Whitmire told the Herald that Alcocer will end up doing almost the same amount of time behind bars even with the amended charges. Alcocer also will have to register as a sex offender.
Sentencing is set for March 30.