A fire in the attic of a west Kennewick house most likely started from a cigarette in a pot near an outside porch, fire officials said Wednesday.
The blaze started close to midnight Tuesday and burned for more than an hour before fire crews put it out, said Joe Terpenning, fire marshal.
No one was inside the home at 2015 N. Steptoe St. and no injuries were reported.
The fire was contained to the attic and burned a large portion of the roof, Terpenning said. The damage was estimated at $120,000, including smoke and water damage in the living room.
Never miss a local story.
A neighbor called 911 after spotting smoke. Fire officials say a couple lives at the home.
The Kennewick Fire Department, Benton Fire District 1, Richland Fire Department, Franklin Fire District 3 and Kennewick police all responded.