A man and woman found in a Kennewick home overlooking the Columbia River possibly died from inhaling toxic fumes, according to Benton County officials.
Jason A McCready, 38, and Amanda M. Wilson, 30, were found by a friend around noon Monday at a house at 1247 N. Neel Loop. Authorities and neighbors say the house did not have electricity and residents used flashlights inside.
Authorities found a generator and kerosene heater inside the house, which had a strong odor of fumes when investigators entered, authorities said.
The couple was found along with a dead dog. Authorities released their names Tuesday morning.
Never miss a local story.
There were no signs of trauma to the bodies, and authorities do not suspect foul play, said Detective Sgt. Kevin McCary of the Benton County Sheriff’s Office.
“We are not investigating this as a homicide at this time,” said McCary, who noted that Benton County officials are in agreement as to the cause of death.
The Benton County Coroner’s Office will consult with a forensic pathologist and order toxicology tests before determining an official cause of death, said Coroner John Hansens. Toxicology test results could take up to six weeks.
Neighbors said that they have not seen lights on at the house for weeks, and a woman would sometimes stay in a car parked on the property.
“She would get in there to warm up,” said Bob Brodahl, a next-door neighbor. “You would see flashlights in there all the time.”
Many who spoke to the Herald in the neighborhood said they did not know the couple well or interact with them.
The five-bedroom, 885-square-foot house is off West Canal Drive and is in the jurisdiction of the Benton County Sheriff’s Office.