A fire early today at a winery northeast of Sunnyside caused an estimated $500,000 worth of damage.
The fire at the Gallo Winery, 2300 Holmason Road, was reported about midnight and took about an hour and a half to bring under control, according to a news release issued by Yakima Fire District No. 5.
Arriving firefighters found smoke being blown from building vents and after forcing entry into the structure found a fire in the mechanical room, the news release said.
The fire appeared to have started around an air dryer system and was confined to the mechanical room, where damage was described as extensive.
Never miss a local story.
While the fire does not appear to be suspicious, the state fire marshal’s office will be contacted due to the high cost of damage, the release said.
About 25 firefighters from five Lower Valley fire stations were dispatched to the scene to help control the fire.