A fire that caused a family to evacuate their Kennewick home was started accidentally during a religious or cultural ceremony, according to fire officials.
The fire Wednesday afternoon at 3407 S. Dennis St. damaged the outside of the house and the living room area, said Mark Yaden, Kennewick fire marshal. No injuries were reported.
Investigators determined a resident was conducting the ceremony when a small ember ignited shrubs near the front yard, Yaden said. The person may have been burning paper or incense.
The fire was put out quickly and smoke damaged was also reported throughout the house.
Never miss a local story.
There is an outdoor burn ban currently in effect in Benton County.