A cigarette may have sparked a house fire early Thursday morning in Kennewick, fire officials said.
A resident called 911 and told dispatchers a couch at the house near West 34th Avenue and South Jean Street in south Kennewick was on fire, officials said. The caller said a cigarette started the fire.
Fire crews from Kennewick and Benton Fire District 1 responded and put the fire out, officials said. It appears to have started in the living room of the split-level house.
One resident was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Never miss a local story.
There was significant damage to the second-floor living room and kitchen, officials said. Residents can’t return to the house due to the damage.