A child playing with matches started a house fire Wednesday morning on the 6000 block of Okanogan Loop in Kennewick, fire officials told the Herald.
The fire started outside the house near a fence and spread into the attic, said Capt. Joe Terpenning. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in less than 30 minutes and no injuries were reported.
A family lives at the house and residents were either at home or around the area when the fire started, Terpenning said. There was significant damage, estimated between $12,000 to $15,000, on the outside and inside of the house.
"It's one of those public interest things where it's important people not leave things like matches around in the reach of children," Terpenning said.
Never miss a local story.
Fire officials said the residents were displaced by the fire and the local chapter of the American red Cross was notified.