A man passing by a Pasco house that was on fire stopped and got the residents out before anyone was injured, according to a fire official.
The fire “heavily damaged” the house on the 8300 block of Lummi Lane Sunday, Capt. Craig Patterson said.
The man knocked on the door to get the residents out before calling 911.
The fire started inside of a garbage can outside of the house and climbed the wall to the roof, Patterson said. Officials believe coal from a previous barbecue may have ignited what was in the can.
Never miss a local story.
Crews had the fire controlled within 40 minutes and remained on scene for several hours.
The Kennewick Fire Department, Richland Fire Department and Franklin Fire District 3 assisted with the blaze.