A double-wide mobile home in Finley was destroyed Tuesday morning when a fire in an electrical box re-ignited, leaving a family of three without a home, according to Benton Fire District 1.
No one was hurt in the fire near Perkins Road and 2184 Private Road S.E., Capt. Devin Helland said.
Isaac Ramos told the Herald he was at work at 2:30 a.m. when he was called by his girlfriend, Celina Martinez. She had woken up to feed their 4-month-old baby and smelled smoke.
Ramos, who has lived at the house for six years, came home to find the electrical box in his closet on fire, he said. He put the fire out with an extinguisher and took his family to a house nearby.
Never miss a local story.
When Ramos came back to check on the house a few hours later, it was fully engulfed in flames, he said.
As fire crews arrived around 6:24 a.m., flames were coming out all four sides of the mobile home and it took firefighters about an hour to control the blaze, Helland said.
Helland said the fire can serve as a good reminder to residents to always call the fire department whenever there is a fire.
“No matter how big or small you think the fire is, you still need to call the fire department,” he said.
The Kennewick and Pasco fire departments assisted.