A 19-year-old Pasco woman pleaded innocent to allegations that she squeezed her 1-year-old son until he started to turn purple and threatened to kill him and herself.
Alejandra Acosta-Mendoza faces an Oct. 10 trial in Franklin County Superior Court for second-degree assault of a child.
She was arrested Aug. 13 by Pasco police after they were called to 720 W. Sylvester St. to investigate a report about a woman harming an infant, court documents said.
Acosta-Mendoza's mother, Rosa Mendoza-Mojica, told officers that her daughter called her three days earlier saying she wanted to kill herself and her son, documents said.
Mendoza-Mojica reportedly said she was concerned, but at the time, it only was words.
Mendoza-Mojica then said she got a call while at work from her daughter saying the child was sick and running a fever, but she wasn't going to take him to the hospital, documents said.
Acosta-Mendoza reportedly said she was just going to let the baby die.
Mendoza-Mojica left work and went home. After a brief argument, Acosta-Mendoza went to her room, but then came out, took the baby from her mother and hit her in the head, documents said.
Acosta-Mendoza then reportedly held the baby with his back against her chest and began squeezing him tightly with one arm around his abdomen and one arm around his neck, documents said.
She also allegedly yelled, "I'm going to kill him!"
Mendoza-Mojica said that she tried to stop her daughter, but she kept squeezing the baby until he began to turn purple.
Acosta-Mendoza's sister then came out of another room, saw what was happening and grabbed her to make her release the boy, documents said.
After a struggle, Mendoza-Mojica was able to get the baby away and run upstairs, where she called 911, documents said.
Paramedics took the baby and saw blood coming out of the left corner of the his mouth and a medium-sized red mark on the back of his neck, documents said.
Acosta-Mendoza initially denied making any threatening statements or harming the child, but she reportedly later said that she wanted to kill herself and take the baby with her.
She told officers she was upset during the altercation and did not remember the details of what happened and that it was possible she could have done and said things that she didn't remember, documents said.
Prosser man faces trial for electrical box damage
A 24-year-old Prosser man faces an Oct. 17 trial for causing damage to an electrical box on a traffic light in front of the Tri-Cities Airport.
Horacio Mendoza-Alvarado pleaded innocent Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court to first-degree malicious mischief. He remains in jail on $25,000 bail.
Mendoza-Alvarado was arrested Aug. 10 after apparently causing a commotion in the road in front of the airport.
A Franklin County deputy spotted Mendoza-Alvarado dancing across the crosswalk against a red light and then later running toward a truck that was leaving the airport, documents said.
The driver of the truck stopped on 20th Avenue after apparently watching Mendoza-Alvarado hitting an electrical box on a pole at the intersection with a big stick or club, causing sparks, documents said.
Teddy Carner, 77, said he honked his horn to get the suspect to stop and that's when Mendoza-Alvarado ran up to his truck and hit it, documents said.
He also allegedly displayed a knife.
Mendoza-Alvarado ran off toward the airport as the deputy approached and laid down in the grass as if he was trying to hide, documents said.
Mendoza-Alvarado, who also reportedly said he was going to blow up the airport, was arrested and booked into the Franklin County jail.
Kennewick woman charged in exploitation
A 40-year-old Kennewick woman accused of participating in a three-hour photo shoot with a young teen girl posed in lingerie now is charged in Franklin County Superior Court.
Suzette Angela Razzolini had been charged with sexual exploitation of a minor in Benton County Superior Court, but the charge was dismissed last week because the incident occurred in Pasco.
Razzolini objected to having the issue heard in Benton County, so the charge was refiled in Franklin County.
Razzolini appeared Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court and pleaded innocent to sexual exploitation of a minor, which includes the allegation that she used a position of trust to facilitate the crime.
Her trial was set for Nov. 7.
Razzolini was initially charged after the photo shoot was found by Benton County sheriff's deputies during a child molestation investigation involving her husband.
Daniel Paul Devorkin, 49, since has pleaded guilty to attempted child molestation and sexual exploitation of a minor involving the same girl
In the video, Razzolini can be seen posing with the girl and an older teen, while also instructing them in what to wear and how to model, court documents said.
Devorkin took pictures and shot the video, which also shows the couple providing alcohol to the younger girl and drinking it with her, documents said.
The older teen is not included in the charge because she no longer is considered a minor.
Defense attorney Matt Rutt was appointed to represent Razzolini, who remained out of custody on her own personal recognizance. She was ordered to have no contact with the victim.