A Kennewick mother narrowly escaped with her month-old baby when the single-wide mobile home they were sleeping in caught fire Monday morning, according to the Kennewick Fire Department.
A neighbor across the street from the home at 2 W. Deschutes Ave. saw smoke and called 911 about 6:30 a.m.
The house had no working smoke detectors, and the mother and baby girl were still asleep when firefighters arrived.
The mother woke up when fire crews made a forced entry into her home. She grabbed the baby and escaped safely from the home.
Never miss a local story.
Both were evaluated for smoke inhalation by a paramedic and no further treatment was required.
Because the mother did not have working smoke detectors in the kitchen and bedroom, the family could have easily been overcome by smoke if a neighbor had not seen the smoke, according to a statement from the fire department.
The home had a smoke detector. But it had been taken down to be worked on and not returned to service, said Capt. Eric Nilson.
The mobile home had about $10,000 worth of damage, including a hole cut into the wall to get to the fire. The fire started from unattended cooking on the kitchen stove and spread into the cabinets and walls.
The Red Cross is expected to arrange a place for the mother and baby to stay until the mobile home is repaired.