A “flaming sparrow” is being blamed for a fire that burned about 10 acres in eastern Franklin County Tuesday.
The Levey Ridge fire, which was reported at 10:53 a.m., did not cause any injuries or damage any buildings or crops, but burned about five acres on either side of a road near the intersection of Pasco Kahlotus Road and Rogers Road, Franklin County Fire District 3 Chief Mike Harris said.
The fire started after a sparrow flew into a breaker on top of a power pole, Harris said.
“The fuse tripped and the bird fell to the ground, starting the fire,” he said.
Never miss a local story.
A total of 16 firefighters from Pasco Fire and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as Franklin Fire District 3, helped put out the fire by 1:30 p.m., Harris said.
The fire was the first for Franklin Fire District 3 in an area it recently annexed from Franklin Fire District 2, Harris said.
Fires started by animals are not rare, but this was the first Harris has dealt with since coming to Franklin County from Benton Fire District 1 last year.
“Around once a year in Benton County we found an animal or bird or squirrel that committed electricide and fell to the ground,” he said.