The Oregon Army National Guard re-dedicated the recently upgraded Milton-Freewater Readiness Center Saturday.
Construction on the $4 million upgrades were finished in March.
The center, at 149 S. Main St., is home to the Oregon Army National Guard’s Detachment 1, 1186th Military Police Company. The remodel began September 2012.
The center originally was dedicated in March 1954. It served as a civil defense headquarters and Red Cross kitchen during the 1964 and 1965 floods, according to a news release.
One unusual feature of the armory is that its upper-story windows on the assembly hall drill floor allow a lot of natural lighting, according to a news release. All other “K-style” armories had few, small upper-story windows.
The center also offers flexible rental space for the Milton-Freewater community and meets all requirements for Americans with Disabilities Act access. The updated building also meets State Energy Efficient Design requirements.