A cigarette sparked an early-morning fire Monday inside a man’s bedroom at his Richland apartment, according to fire officials.
The fire started around 2:25 a.m. at the apartment at 1209 George Washington Way, said Capt. Brenda Rodgers.
The man reportedly woke up to flames inside his bedroom. He was able to escape and was not injured.
There was not a working smoke detector in the apartment, Rodgers said. No one else was at the apartment when the fire started.
Never miss a local story.
Fire crews were able to put the fire out within five minutes of arriving, Rodgers said. There is fire damage to the man’s hallway and bedroom.
“He was pretty lucky due to the proximity of the fire and not having a working smoke detector,” Rodgers said.
No other buildings were damaged during the fire, Rodgers said. The man is staying with family members.