SUNNYSIDE -- A family dog's incessant barking is being credited by firefighters for alerting the residents of a Sunnyside home to escape a destructive blaze Saturday.
The 1112 Bagley Drive home was a total loss, estimated at $100,000, in the morning fire.
Yakima Fire District 5 crews and Sunnyside police responded at 3:13 a.m. to find smoke and flames throughout the house and coming out the side windows and the roof, according to fire Capt. Ken Robillard.
Sixteen firefighters knocked down the fire while protecting the garage and vehicles.
Never miss a local story.
Once the blaze was under control about a half hour later, the firefighters went inside and "did an extensive overhaul to completely extinguish all fire and smoldering materials," Robillard said in a release.
The home did not have any working smoke detectors, but the family was alerted to the fire by their dog. They were able to get out safely.
The fire might have been caused by a candle in a back bedroom, Robillard said.
The American Red Cross reportedly is helping the family.