Tri-City firefighters had to demolish a Richland home on Saturday to extinguish a fire that started early in the morning.
The fire, which started at about 5:45 a.m. at a home on Symons Street, got inside the walls and floors, causing the floor to start to collapse, said Battalion Chief James Hempstead with the Richland Fire Department.
Safety concerns meant firefighters then had to fight the fire from outside the one-story home, which also had a basement, he said. No one was injured, but the home is a total loss.
The residents were out of town when the fire started, Hempstead said.
There were hot spots at the older Richland home throughout Saturday afternoon, Hempstead said.
Up to 30 firefighters were assisting at any one time, he said. Kennewick and Pasco fire departments and Benton Fire District 4 helped. Cascade Natural Gas and the City of Richland’s Energy Services turned off the natural gas and utilities to the home.
The cause is still under investigation, he said.