A fire that started about 8 p.m. Saturday destroyed a two-story house sitting above a garage at 1906 W. 43rd Place in Kennewick.
The man who lived in the house came out of the shower and saw the deck was on fire, said neighbor Sean Taylor, who talked to the man's brother.
The man got his dog and a motorcycle out just minutes before the wind pushed the fire up to the second floor and the attic, said Tod Kreutz, Kennewick Fire Department battalion chief.
The fire was reported first by people who spotted smoke from higher neighborhoods to the south, and people blocks away gathered to watch flames at the top of the tall house against the darkening sky.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters initially focused on keeping the fire from spreading to nearby houses, Kreutz said. The department's ladder truck was used to put out hot spots in the attic.
Benton Fire District 1, Kennewick police and Benton PUD assisted the Kennewick Fire Department.