The Tri-Cities is getting a second 3 Eyed Fish.
Owners Cindy and Brian Goulet will open their second wine bar Wednesday in Queensgate Village at 1970 Keene Road in Richland.
They opened their first in the security area of the Tri-Cities Airport in Pasco two years ago.
The name is a Tri-City inside joke, Cindy Goulet said.
Never miss a local story.
"We came across 3 Eyed Fish somewhere and thought it kind of funny because of Hanford," she said. "People are always making radiation, glow in the dark jokes about the Tri-Cities.
"We get a lot of customers out at the airport from Hanford and they get a smile out of it. The ones who don't get the joke, it's just an easy name to remember."
Cindy Goulet also runs a restaurant, Florentyna's, at the airport in Pasco. Florentyna's first opened in the Uptown shopping center in Richland in 1992, moved to a strip mall on Union Street in Kennewick and finally found a home at the airport 15 years ago.
"I'm excited to expand into Queensgate Village. There's already two tasting rooms there and it's not far from three popular wineries on Tulip Lane," she said.
There's seating for 58 inside, but that can be doubled in the summer when they open the two decks. They're considering adding live music in the summer months.
The Goulets' new wine bar will feature two industry trends in wine service: kegs and a wine preservation system.
"Kegs are just that, kegs, like beer kegs. They are not box wines. Just like beer kegs, these have a preservation system so the wine doesn't turn on you," Cindy Goulet said.
They'll have two wines in kegs -- a riesling by Wallas Walla winery Charles & Charles and a pinot gris from Oregon's Spindrift Cellars.
The 16-bottle wine preservation system will be enclosed in a glass case. Argon gas will flow into the bottle as wine is poured to preserve it. Normally wine exposed to the air quickly begins to change in flavor and can degrade in days, even hours.
"It won't affect the taste or quality of the wine, in fact the gas will preserve it up to 30 days," she said.
The system will allow the Goulets to offer higher-end wines by the glass -- wines other venues would be hesitant to offer by the glass because of the cost.
"This a beautiful system," Cindy Goulet said.
The Goulets plan to offer 60 different wines, along with microbrews. About 80 percent will be from the Columbia and Walla Walla valleys and Eastern Washington, with the other 20 percent from California, New Zealand and Italy. They'll also serve their own white and red wines made by Charlie Hoppes, a well respected Mid-Columbia winemaker.
The menu will be simple, featuring tapa-style foods -- bruschetta, panini, fresh salads, soups and some flatbreads. Their chef, Josh Spencer, most recently worked at Seattle's RE:public restaurant in south Lake Union.
"He's excellent and only limited by the size of the kitchen at our new place. It's very small, tiny," Cindy Goulet said.
Hours will be from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday-Tuesday, from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday.
-- To submit business news, go to bit.ly/bizformtch.
-- Loretto J. Hulse: 582-1513; firstname.lastname@example.org