A grease fire that spread into the vents of a Kennewick restaurant prompted a large call-out of fire crews Saturday morning.
Kennewick firefighters were called at 10:35 a.m. to India Palace Restaurant, 830 N. Columbia Center Boulevard, after the fire was reported.
The restaurant wasn't open yet -- it opens at 11 a.m. daily -- but they likely were getting food ready for their lunch buffet when the fire broke out.
The building already had been evacuated when the first crews got on scene, but firefighters did do a sweep inside to make sure everyone was out, said Kennewick Fire Capt. Linc Swenson.
Never miss a local story.
Ten units from the Kennewick, Richland and Pasco fire departments and Benton Fire District 1 were dispatched to the restaurant.
Fire crews, however, were able to get the fire contained within 10 minutes, Swenson said. It took another 10 minutes before they were sure flames hadn't spread into the attic.
"It went out with a little bit of water and quite a bit of tenacity," Swenson said.
Crews had to cut holes in the roof and also attacked the fire from inside, he said.
The biggest challenge was getting onto the roof, because of the way it's designed and the power lines on one side of the building, he said.
Fire crews were on scene for about two hours. There were no injuries.
Most of the damage inside the restaurant was in the kitchen, Swenson aid.
"Hopefully they'll be back in business pretty soon," he said.