A 25-year-old man was busted for allegedly amassing stolen driver's licenses, vehicle titles, Social Security cards and checks after a Kennewick resident watched someone take mail from their mailbox.
The witness was able to identify the suspect's vehicle, which led police to the Kennewick home of Dale Thomas LaGrande.
LaGrande is the registered owner of the vehicle seen in the reported mail theft May 10.
Wednesday, he pleaded innocent in Benton County Superior Court to two counts each of second-degree possessing stolen property and unlawful possession of payment instruments.
LaGrande's trial is scheduled for July 9.
Kennewick officers got a warrant to search LaGrande's North Arthur Street home after the eyewitness tip. LaGrande was home at the time, court documents said.
Inside the house, police found mail that had been taken from the witness's mailbox, along with numerous items taken from earlier burglaries, vehicle prowls and even a robbery, documents said.
Those items included driver's licenses, vehicle titles, Social Security cards and other personal documents, as well as a Bank of America credit card and debit card and blank checks.
Twelve blank checks belonged to one man, while another man was the owner of two checkbooks with a total of 26 checks, court documents said. Those men did not give LaGrande permission to have or use their checks, documents said.
Police reported that LaGrande admitted to possessing the items and to knowing that they were stolen.
Richland man gets Special Sex offender Sentencing Alternative
A Richland man who sexually assaulted a toddler on several occasions will spend a year in jail under a treatment program.
Judge Craig Matheson granted the Special Sex Offender Sentencing Alternative for Kenneth Michael Reynolds, but warned the 25-year-old man that if he violates any of the conditions, he will serve the remainder of his suspended sentence -- four years and eight months.
And if that happens, Reynolds could be looking at life behind bars because first-degree child molestation is an indeterminate sentence that requires a state board to approve his eventual release.
Reynolds pleaded guilty in April to the child molestation charge. The alternative program includes shortened jail time -- which cannot be done on work crew or electronic home detention -- and up to five years of outpatient sex offender treatment.
Court documents show that between June 2009 and February 2011, Reynolds inappropriately touched the young girl and made the victim do the same to him.
The girl later disclosed the sexual contact to her mother with a special word she used to describe her genitals. The mother contacted police and the victim was interviewed by a sexual assault child advocate, documents said.
In a letter to the court, the girl's mother said it has been a difficult past couple of years. Her daughter's personality completely changed and it is only through weekly counseling appointments that she has been able to help control her nightmares, anxiety and anger, the mother said.
She added that she hopes her daughter can overcome these issues and "lead a healthy and normal childhood with no fear or no significant damage from the abuse."
The mother supported Reynolds' request for the special sentence, saying he needs treatment for himself and for "any possible future victims."
Reynolds was interviewed by a state community corrections officer for a presentencing investigation report. He told the Department of Corrections employee he wants counseling to "fix" this situation.
"I had no right to do that to her and I need help," Reynolds said, according to the report. "I know what I did was wrong and it will affect (the victim's) life. My actions have hurt a lot of people and I want to make it right."
Kennewick man pleads innocent to drug, firearms charges
A Kennewick man who was heavily armed when he allegedly threatened his wife and five children inside their apartment faces a July 30 trial.
Valentin J. Castillo, 43, pleaded innocent to possession of cocaine and seven counts of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.
Castillo is not allowed to own or have a gun because he has a felony conviction out of Franklin County for possessing a controlled substance with intent to deliver, court documents said.
Benton County dispatchers received a call at 2 a.m. Sunday about a man with a gun threatening his family.
"From the circumstances of the 911 call, officers surmised that (Castillo) was having a psychotic reaction as he (was) reported to be waving a .357 handgun and to be fighting with unseen foes," documents said.
Kennewick officers made contact with Castillo at his East 10th Avenue home. He reportedly would not follow their commands or show his hands, keeping his right hand behind the door, but family members were allowed to be evacuated, court documents said.
Castillo eventually came out of the home "but did so aggressively and had to be forcibly restrained," documents said.
When arresting Castillo, police allegedly found he had cocaine along with a revolver, rifle and shotgun, two pistols and two assault rifles.
-- Kristin M. Kraemer: 582-1531; email@example.com