A fire at a Pasco School District elementary school Tuesday was arson.
Franklin County sheriff's Detective Lee Barrow said a 9-year-old student started the fire at Edwin Markham Elementary School by lighting some paper towels in the boy's bathroom.
The boy was interviewed by investigators, then released to his parents.
The fire caused extensive damage to the bathroom and smoke damage to surrounding areas, Barrow said.
Never miss a local story.
Students were evacuated from the school for a short time, but there were no injuries.