A 19-year-old Pasco man involved in a retaliation gang shooting in May said he intends to become a productive member of society.
Juvenal Torres pleaded guilty Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court to drive-by shooting and a reduced charge of second-degree assault.
Torres had been charged with first-degree assault. A third count of possessing a stolen gun was dismissed as part of the plea deal.
"I want to say I'm sorry to my family and let them know when I do go to prison, I'm going to take advantage of whatever they offer. That way, when I get out I will be a productive member of society," Torres said before he was sentenced.
Judge Cameron Mitchell told Torres he hopes he follows through, then sentenced him to the maximum term of four years and eight months in prison.
Torres and two co-defendants were arrested by Pasco police after multiple shots were fired from a Honda Accord toward a house at Fourth Avenue and A Street.
Rival gang members who were involved in a shooting in Kennewick the night before reportedly were visiting the home.
In the Kennewick incident, Torres and Jaime Tovar, 16, were with a group in a convenience store parking lot when a van drove by and someone opened fire on them, court documents said.
Tovar, who was wounded in the leg, was sentenced to three months in jail last month for second-degree assault. He since has been released.
A third co-defendant, Ivan Madred Valdez, 18, was sentenced to one year and three months in prison for second-degree assault and drive-by shooting.
Torres was sitting in the passenger seat of the car and fired a 9 mm pistol at the house.
"I intentionally shot at (the victim) while riding in a moving vehicle. ... Irecklessly created a substantial risk of harm or death," Torres wrote in court documents.
Man pleads innocentin road rage allegation
A Pasco man pleaded innocent Tuesday to claims that he pointed a gun at a couple in a car during a road rage incident Sunday.
Severiano Castellanos is charged in Franklin County Superior Court with second-degree assault, alien in possession of a gun and driving under the influence of alcohol.
His trial is Nov. 16.
Castellanos was arrested by Pasco police shortly after the incident.
Castellanos reportedly cut off a driver at 14th Avenue and Sylvester Street, and the driver followed him onto Court Street, documents said.
When the driver, Marco Fernandez, pulled up next to Castellanos, his wife, Marissa Hernandez, saw Castellanos shaking a gun back and forth before pointing it at her, documents said.
Fernandez then slammed on his brakes and Castellanos drove by, documents said.
A gun reportedly was found under the driver's seat after he was stopped by Pasco officers.
Pasco man pleadsinnocent in rape case
A 29-year-old Pasco man faces a Nov. 30 trial on allegations he kidnapped and sexually assaulted a Pasco woman in May.
Nathan William Murphy pleaded innocent Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court to first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping with sexual motivation and second-degree assault with sexual motivation.
The 19-year-old woman reported the incident to Franklin County sheriff's deputies on May 14, court documents said.
She said that four days earlier, she was taken to a Pasco apartment against her will by Murphy and another man, then forcibly raped by the second man several times while Murphy held her down, documents said.
The woman said Murphy also sexually assaulted her, documents said.
A knife was on the night stand in the room and the woman told investigators that she feared they would use the knife on her if she fought back, documents said.
Deputy Prosecutor Maureen Lorincz requested Murphy's bail remain at $25,000, saying that while Murphy has no known criminal history, the allegations against him are very serious.
Defense attorney Karla Kane said she understood her client is facing serious charges,"but at this time they are just allegations."
Murphy asked Judge Cameron Mitchell if there was anything "I can say on my behalf."
But Mitchell said $25,000 is "actually a minimal amount considering the allegations."