KENNEWICK -- Christina Milewski and her father, Tony Milewski, were on their way home from her 20th birthday dinner when they saw the smoke.
Her parents' home at 602 S. Yolo St. in Kennewick caught fire about 6:50 p.m. Saturday.
Monica Milewski, Christina's mother, who is bedridden, was still in the home when the fire began.
But she and the family's 17-year-old long-haired Chihuahua, Sheena, were rescued. Christina Milewski said both were doing fine, and her mother had requested not to go to the hospital.
Never miss a local story.
A smoker on the back deck caught the back of the home on fire, said Kennewick Fire Marshal Mark Yaden. It spread into the attic.
The owner had been smoking fish on the deck since about noon, Yaden said. Whether the smoker malfunctioned was under investigation.
Neighbors and the owner called 911 about the same time, he said. Tony Milewski extinguished the porch fire, but firefighters had to take down part of the ceiling to get to the fire in the attic.
The full damage had not yet been determined. Christina Milewski said it appeared the back wall and kitchen were damaged. The home was insured.
No firefighters were injured. Richland Fire Department and Benton Fire District 1 assisted, Yaden said.
Yaden said people should use barbecues and smokers away from their homes and combustibles.
* Kristi Pihl: 509-582-1512; email@example.com