Two Kennewick residents were forced to flee their home when a fire broke out in the back bedroom of a home at 8406 W. Canyon Ave.
The Kennewick Fire Department said the fire was quickly extinguished, but not before it consumed most of the bedroom and began to spread into an attic.
The Richland Fire Department, Kennewick Police Department, Benton County PUD and the American Red Cross responded. The Red Cross helped the residence with clothing, shelter and medications.
The Kennewick Fire Department said the fire was started from cigarettes.