Each Monday, the Tri-City Herald publishes results for restaurants that score 25 or more “Red” points on their Benton-Franklin Health District inspections, triggering automatic revisits.
By law, all establishments that sell food are subject to inspection, from full-service restaurants to coffee carts to gas stations selling convenience items.
Establishments are rated on a state point system that’s based on the federal food code for the conditions in the restaurant at the time of the unannounced inspection. The point scale ranges up to 415 points.
Red points reflect more concerning issues that require immediate inspection. An establishment receiving 25 or more points on a routine inspection must be re-inspected. Blue points indicate situations that need to be fixed, but not immediately.
Never miss a local story.
To view copies of the health department’s reports for all establishments inspected regardless of results, go to tricityherald.com.
Establishments requiring reinspection:
▪ Aki Sushi, 321 N. Columbia Center Blvd, Kennewick, Oct. 19, follow up (95 Red)
Notes: Lack of managerial controls; back employee hand-wash sink blocked by container; no dates on tags for raw oysters; consumer advisories missing from menu board and menu’ food stored at wrong temperature.
▪ Bob’s Burgers and Brews, 3609 Plaza Way, Kennewick, Oct. 19, followup (25 Red)
Notes: Plate of onion rings stored at room temperature.
▪ Foodies, 308 W. Kennewick Ave., Oct. 19, followup (30 Red)
Notes: Improper storage of pico de gallo; cooked onion straws mislabeled.
▪ Fuego Mexican Restaurant, 3911 W. 27th Ave., Kennewick, followup (30 Red)
Notes: Improper storage of chili verde with meat; no consumer advisory on lunch menu for huevos rancheros.
▪ Hot Spot Mini Mart, 7380 Road 170, Mesa/Basin City, Oct. 19, routine (65 Red, 5 Blue)
Notes: Person in charge not able to discuss proper food temperatures; hand-washing sink blocked; hot dogs found with mold; digital thermometer not working; eggs stored improperly.
▪ Sandoval’s Market (Deli), 6030 Road 170 (Mesa/Basin City), Oct. 10, routine (Red 35, 13 Blue)
Notes: Ribs stored at wrong temperature; lettuce and diced tomatoes held at wrong temperature; cook did not change gloves between tasks; dirty pizza cutter sitting on microwave.