For all of you resolved to eat better in the new year, we offer a week's worth of lighter recipes that will help you get started right. This one comes from the new cookbook from America's Test Kitchen called "Light & Healthy 2010."
2/3 cup of plain low-fat yogurt
Never miss a local story.
1/4 cup of light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon light or mild molasses
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 romaine lettuce hearts (1 lb.), torn into bite-sized pieces (about 12 cups)
3 celery ribs, sliced think
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1. For the dressing, whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Stir in the blue cheese and set aside.
2. For the chicken, whisk the hot sauce, butter and molasses together in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk the cornmeal and cornstarch together in a shallow dish. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season with the salt and pepper. Thoroughly coat the chicken with the cornmeal mixture, pressing to adhere.
3. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Carefully lay the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the chicken, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the thickest part of the breasts registers 160 to 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes longer.
4. Transfer the chicken breasts to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the breasts crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
5. To assemble the salad, whisk the dressing to recombine. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, celery and carrots with the dressing and divide among four plates. In a separate bowl, toss the chicken with the hot sauce mixture. Arrange the chicken slices evenly on top of each salad and serve.