A frequent blood donor. An off-duty sheriff’s deputy who jumped into action.
A photographer who uses his skills to help grieving parents.
Those three — and several others — were honored last week by the Benton-Franklin chapter of the American Red Cross during the annual Real Heroes breakfast in Pasco.
“This event is meant to celebrate the human spirit and honor those whose acts closely mirror the Red Cross mission,” said Peggy Hoggarth, executive director, in a news reslease.
Never miss a local story.
Here’s the complete list of winners:
• Keith Taylor, Blood Donation Hero. Taylor donates blood each week as a way to help others. He was inspired to begin by his son’s deployment to Afghanistan.
• Terri McCann, Animal Rescue Hero. McCann has been involved in animal rescue for years and works with a rescue group, focusing on animals in dire conditions.
• Rich Breshears, Humanitarian Hero. The photographer takes remembrance photos for families suffering the loss of a baby. He volunteers as part of the organization “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.”
• Jason Erickson, Emergency Services Hero. The Benton County Sheriff’s deputy, who was off duty, intervened when an armed, intoxicated neighbor threatened people. The neighbor eventually was fatally shot by a SWAT member after a standoff. Erickson is credited with saving lives in the neighborhood with his response.
• Gale-Rew Construction, Community Organization Hero. Brad Rew co-ordinated volunteers to help after wildfires in the Brewster area.
• Christine DeVere, Service to Armed Forces Hero. DeVere volunteers coordinating veterans services with WorkSource Columbia Basin.
• Daphne Hambrook, Spirit of the Red Cross Hero.
A longtime local Red Cross volunteer, Hambrook helps with volunteer staffing for disasters around the state and deployed twice last year, to the Oso mudslide and Carlton Complex fire.
• Rachel Nelson and Chris Kirk, Citizen Rescue Heroes. The pair came to the aid of a man who had a heart attack while driving home and was hanging upside down unresponsive in his car.