Several Operation Christmas Child shoebox drop-off locations are available around the Tri-Cities through Nov. 24.
The shoeboxes, filled by individuals and groups with gifts and school supplies for children in poverty, will be taken to Bethel Church in Richland and then hauled to California and shipped around the world.
Last year, 7.3 million shoeboxes were collected around the U.S., including more than 14,800 from the Tri-Cities and eastern Oregon, a news release said.
Operation Christmas Child is a program of the Christian relief organization Samaritan’s Purse.
Never miss a local story.
Here are the drop-off locations:
• Bethel Church, 600 Shockley Road, Richland. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day through Nov. 24.
• South Hills Church, 3700 W. 27th Ave., Kennewick. Times/dates: 10:30 a.m. to 1p.m Nov. 19 and 20; 5 to 7 p.m. on Nov. 18; 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 21; 10:30 a.m. to noon on Nov. 22; noon to 4 p.m. on Nov. 23; and 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 24.
• Pasco Christian Center, 5500 Sagemoor Road. Time/dates: 3 to 6 p.m. Nov. 18-20 and Nov. 23; 2 to 5 p.m. on Nov. 21; 1 to 5 p.m. on Nov. 22; and 11:30 to 2 p.m. Nov. 24.
• Prosser Bethel Church, 270 N. Gap Road, Prosser. Times/dates: 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 18-21; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 22; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 23; 10 a.m to 1 p.m. Nov. 24.
• Tri-Cities Chinese Alliance Church, 2004 George Washington Way, Richland. Times/dates: 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 18-21 and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m Nov 22 to 24.
Shoeboxes, shipping labels and packing information also are available at BMW of Tri-Cities, 955 Aaron Drive, Richland, and John L. Scott Real Estate, 5109 N. Road 68, Suite E, Pasco.
The businesses also are collecting small toys, toiletries and school supplies for kids ages 2 to 14 to be included in shoeboxes. War-themed toys, liquids or breakables, chocolate, vitamins and medicine are among the prohibited items.
Donors are asked to give $7 per box by check or through www.samaritanspurse.org for shipping costs. BMW of Tri-Cities is paying the shipping cost for packed shoeboxes returned to its location by Nov. 22.