Hundreds of classic cars, street rods and motorcycles will be on display in Richland next week as part of a popular summertime event.
Cool Desert Nights runs June 23-26, largely at the Uptown Shopping Center in Richland.
“There are things for people of all ages,” from an all-city cruise to street dances and a kids zone, said Jillian Marquez, project coordinator for the Tri-City Regional Chamber of Commerce, which hosts the event.
“We’re in our 23rd year. It’s just a great time,” she said.
Never miss a local story.
A Slow Drags competition and an outhouse race also are planned.
Cool Desert Nights kicks off June 23 with an all-city cruise that starts at TRAC in Pasco and ends at the Dairy Queen on Jadwin Avenue in Richland.
Activities continue throughout the weekend, ramping up to the daylong Show N’ Shine on June 25 at the Uptown Shopping Center and Jefferson Park, with vendors, concessions, live entertainment and kids activities. A Slow Drags competition and an outhouse race also are planned.
Nighttime street dances for people 21 and older are planned
June 24-25 at John Dam Plaza in Richland. Townsquare Media partners to coordinate the dances.
The event wraps up June 26 with a “Come Try Autocross” event at the Tri-City Raceway.
Cool Desert Nights draws about 700 to 800 vehicles, along with 15,000 to 20,000 people throughout the weekend.
For more information, go to cooldesertnights.com.
Here’s the Cool Desert Nights schedule:
▪ Registration is from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Red Lion Richland, 802 George Washington Way; or from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Dairy Queen Grill & Chill, 1313 Jadwin Ave., Richland
▪ All-City Cruise begins at 5 p.m. at TRAC, 6600 Burden Blvd., Pasco, and ends at the Richland Dairy Queen. Cars may begin lining up at the TRAC at 4 p.m.
▪ A mini show n’ shine is 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Dairy Queen.
▪ Registration is from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Red Lion Richland or from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Uptown Shopping Center in Richland.
▪ Les Schwab Poker Run is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Poker cards are available at any of the six local Les Schwab locations.
▪ Les Schwab Show N’ Shine is from 2 to 5 p.m. at 2825 Queensgate Drive, Richland.
▪ Auto Zone Participant-Only Cruise starts at 7 p.m. and winds through Richland. Participating vehicles should begin lining up in the parking lot at the federal building off Jadwin Avenue at 6 p.m.
▪ Friday Night Street Dance runs from 9 p.m. to midnight at John Dam Plaza in Richland. The cover band, Boston Rocks, will perform, along with T Ninja Baby and The Coast, winners of the Emerald of Siam’s Battle of the Bands. The event is for people 21 and older. Cost is $7 for a weekend wristband, $8 for Friday night only if bought in advance at the Cool Desert Nights registration trailer or information booth, or $10 at the door.
▪ Registration is from 7 a.m. to noon at the Uptown Shopping Center.
▪ Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast is from 7 to 11 a.m. in the gazebo at Jefferson Park, across from the Uptown. Cost is $6 for adults and $4 for kids ages 6 to 11. Kids 5 and younger eat for free.
▪ Show N’ Shine is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Uptown Shopping Center and Jefferson Park. Vendors and concessions will be on hand, and entertainment is planned. Judging is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. A poker walk is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at participating Uptown businesses, and a kids zone will run from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
▪ A Slow Drags competition, hosted by the Richland Fire Department, starts at noon on George Washington Way. To participate, go to the Cool Desert Nights information booth at the Uptown.
▪ An Outhouse Race, sponsored by Jeff’s Lawn Care & Landscaping, runs from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Cost is $25 per team. For rules and to sign up, email email@example.com.
▪ Awards ceremony is at 3:30 p.m. at the Uptown Shopping Center.
▪ Saturday Night Street Dance is from 9 p.m. to midnight at John Dam Plaza. The bands 3rd Date and Eclectic Approach will perform. The event is for people 21 and older. Cost is $7 for a weekend wristband, $8 for Saturday night only if purchased in advance at the Cool Desert Nights registration trailer or information booth, or $10 at the door.
▪ A “Come Try Autocross” event is from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Tri-City Raceway near Benton City. The Sage and Sand Sports Car Club is coordinating. Cost is $10 for three runs. It’s open to all types of cars. Spectators are admitted for free. More on the club: ssscc.org.