Cigarette possibly sparks Kennewick house fire

July 17, 2014 

— A cigarette may have sparked a house fire early Thursday morning in Kennewick, fire officials said.

A resident called 911 and told dispatchers a couch at the house near West 34th Avenue and South Jean Street in south Kennewick was on fire, officials said. The caller said a cigarette started the fire.

Fire crews from Kennewick and Benton Fire District 1 responded and put the fire out, officials said. It appears to have started in the living room of the split-level house.

One resident was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

There was significant damage to the second-floor living room and kitchen, officials said. Residents can’t return to the house due to the damage.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service