Church funeral for Ohio priest convicted of murder

The Associated PressJuly 11, 2014 

Priest-Nun Slaying

Pallbearers carry Rev. Gerald Robinson's casket from St. Hyacinth Church in Toledo, Ohio, following his funeral service Friday, July 11, 2014. Rev. Robinson, who was arrested in 2004 and convicted in 2006 for the murder of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl in 1980, died in a prison hospice at Franklin Medical Center in Columbus. He was serving a sentence of 15 years to life.


— A church funeral for a Roman Catholic priest in Ohio who died while serving a prison sentence for the 1980 death of a nun proceeded Friday as a few people protested at the church's diocese headquarters.

About 200 mourners attended the funeral at St. Hyacinth Catholic Church in Toledo for Rev. Gerald Robinson, who died July 4 in a prison hospice at age 76. He was buried following the service.

Robinson was convicted in 2006 of the stabbing and strangling death of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl at a Toledo hospital where they worked. He was sentenced to 15 years to life in what church historians have characterized as the only documented case of a Catholic priest killing a nun.

At the funeral, priests and deacons sat at the front of the church and nuns, some wearing habits, were also in attendance, The Blade newspaper reported ( ). The church is where Robinson celebrated his first mass as an ordained priest.

"Father Robinson for many years carried a heavy burden. Whether or not it was a burden of guilt or a burden of a miscarriage of justice, I do not know," the Rev. Charles Ritter, diocese administrator, said during the service. "We do not know. Either way, that burden is lifted for him now."

Two groups including the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests asked the Diocese of Toledo earlier this week to reverse its decision allowing the usual protocol for diocesan priests' funerals for Robinson. Friday, a few people from the organization protested the decision outside the diocese's headquarters.

Robinson, who grew up in Toledo and served in several parishes, was barred from ministry following his trial but remained a priest because he was appealing his conviction.

Robinson and Pahl, 71, had worked closely together at the hospital, where he was a chaplain and she was caretaker of the chapel. She was killed the day before Easter in 1980 and Robinson presided at her funeral Mass days later.

Police arrested him in 2004 after investigators reopened the murder case when a letter surfaced that accused Robinson and other priests of molestation. Police weren't able to substantiate the allegations of sexual abuse, but it led them back to the nun's slaying.

Prosecutors blamed the deadly attack on Robinson's simmering anger over Pahl's domineering ways, saying their relationship was strained and that Pahl was upset over the shortening of Good Friday services a day before she was killed.

Information from: The Blade,

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service