Kennewick man killed by police was shot once in the head

June 28, 2014 

— A 32-year-old Kennewick man was hit by one bullet in the head Friday morning after police fired at him for allegedly pointing a pellet gun at officers.

An autopsy performed later Friday determined that Aaron Thomas Wright died as a result of being struck by the one round, said Benton County Coroner John Hansens.

Wright had no other gunshot wounds, Hansens said.

The autopsy was done by Dr. Daniel Selove, a forensic pathologist from Everett.

Police were trying to pull over a Ford Focus that had been reported stolen when Wright fled, ending up at an apartment complex in central Kennewick.

Authorities say Wright first pointed the pellet gun at officers when he ditched the Ford and ran into an apartment near Klamath Avenue and Volland Street.

That’s when Kennewick Officer Joshua Kuhn -- who at the time believed the pellet gun was a real gun, based on its appearance -- fired the initial shots at Wright, according to police.

Kuhn, Kennewick Officer Jose Santoy and Richland police Sgt. Wayne DuBois then shot at Wright when he came out of the apartment and pointed the pellet gun at them.

It is not known how many shots were fired by the officers, though residents said they heard six to seven gunshots.

Wright was declared dead after he was taken to Trios Health.

The three officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave pending a review by a special investigative unit made up of regional law enforcement officials.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service