Richland mom pleads innocent to assault

Tri-City HeraldMay 23, 2014 

A Richland mother pleaded innocent to allegations she threatened her daughter’s ex-boyfriend with a holstered handgun because the boy and his friends had been harassing the girl.

Rebecca Sue Charron, 33, reportedly went on to the Hanford High School campus while in possession of the Ruger, without a concealed weapons permit.

She told police she picked up her daughter in the Richland school’s parking lot on May 16 so she could watch and ensure there were no issues, court documents said.

Then, the mother and daughter were on their way to buy personal protection devices when Charron saw the boy’s vehicle and decided to confront him, documents said.

The teen boy claims Charron told him to leave her daughter alone, then pointed the gun at him and said, “Don’t make me have to use this.”

Charron denies pointing it at anyone, but said she made sure the boy and the three others in his car knew she had a gun.

Charron is charged in Benton County Superior Court with second-degree assault. Her trial is scheduled July 28.

Charron, in an interview after her arrest, told investigators that her daughter and the boy had been in a dating relationship and broke up some time ago, but the boy -- also a student at Hanford High -- wouldn’t leave her daughter alone, court documents said.

Charron said an earlier incident had occurred in the school parking lot so she went onto the campus to make sure her daughter was OK, documents said. She then wanted to buy the girl protective gear like a stun gun and pepper spray at an army surplus store.

It was while passing the 7-Eleven store on George Washington Way that Charron reportedly saw the teen’s car, pulled in to the store’s lot and held the holstered gun in the palm of her hand while talking to him.

Charron said she told the vehicle’s occupants that she knew they had guns, and so did she, court documents said.

She told police it was her fiance’s firearm, and admitted taking it on to school property, documents said.

The ex-boyfriend told officers that he was going to the store to make a purchase when he saw Charron. He said he thought she was just approaching his car to talk about the harassment that had been going on, but then she allegedly pulled out the gun.

Charron is out of custody after posting $2,000 bail. She is represented by Larry Stephenson of Kennewick.

-- Kristin M. Kraemer: 509-582-1531; kkraemer@tricityherald.com; Twitter: @KristinMKraemer

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service